Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Pink Bag

         The lack of contrast in this picture may not do justice to the lovely shade of pink that is my beloved toiletry/cosmetic bag. The reason that I love it so much is because it was sewn by my Grandmother and given to me in 1967 (43 years) ago. It has been in continuous use since then and still looks very nice and functions beautifully! I can easily remember the date it was made, as its purpose was to carry my stuff around during the World's Fair, called Expo '67 held in Montreal, Quebec in Canada. My Grandma made a bag for each of my brothers also. Two of my sisters were babies then and one wasn't born for many years later!
         Expo '67 was a wonderful exhibition like an amusement park with a series of museums and interactive displays all put together. According to Wikipedia, it is considered to be the most successful World's Fair of the 20th Century receiving over 50 million visitors in the six months it was open.We were very fortunate as children to be taken there because I can still remember some of the exhibits such as a huge mechanical fire breathing dragon that came up out of the water while we rode by on a boat. I can also picture a car manufacturer's display of brand new cars going past on a conveyor belt that you could ride in as they went along. We rode on a minirail that traveled along elevated about one story around the entire site. Reading Wikipedia again, it said that there were 90 "Pavillions"  there which were hosted by different countries (which is why they call it a World's Fair) showcasing the history and new innovations of that particular country.The theme for the fair was " Man and His World". It was spectacular! This emphasizes to me that kids remember these trips for a lifetime. Planning them and investing the time and money necessary are great investments!

      I took this picture in a hotel bathroom because I truly use this bag to hold my toothbrush, hairbrush and the very small amount of make-up that I might pack when I go anywhere on a trip. After receiving it as a child, it was my car bag for traveling that held books to read on the trip and my souvenir money. You can see a white fabric rope that attaches to either end of the body of the bag. The little handle can actually be folded in to make the bag have a flat top and be carried on the shoulder with the rope. It is lined with an equally beautiful ivory colored soft fabric to make it sturdy which may account for its long wear. There is an envelope shaped pocket trimmed with lace on the outside which I use for small items like hair barretts.
       I love to pack and use this wonderful bag which I have never found to be replaceable by any other type of cosmetic bag available. It makes me happy to continue to use this handmade gift from my Grandmother to an eight year old. I don't think she could have foreseen how useful and long lasting this thoughtful present of hers has been. When I use it, I feel connected to my wonderful childhood and forget that I am a middle-aged woman! It brings me back to those carefree days when all I had to pack was a book to read and some activities for the car. It reminds me of my Grandmother who, in 1967, cared enough about our planned trip to the World's Fair to sew a beautiful bag for each of us to carry our treasures  in! I am also very grateful to God for granting me, by His Grace, enough stability in the circumstances of life to have held onto this piece of  my past.