Sunday, July 1, 2012

Yeah...I Work Out!

John's neck and lower back were hurting again despite two weeks of physical therapy at our usual place. I decided that we would try a new outfit that I had heard good things about. It offers a combination of chiropractic, sports medicine and physical therapy modalities. Larry and I took John  for an evaluation and it was determined that he needed physical therapy alone to strengthen his core muscles which will then in turn support his neck and back properly.
I have been absolutely impressed with the level of care he has received here. The difference between this place and the last place, where he has been through three sessions of P.T. over the last year and a half is phenomenal. The focus here is on having John build his own muscles and lengthen his hamstrings by working out in a series of floor exercises for 1 solid hour at each session.
 The therapist, posing here at my request, has a doctorate in Physical Therapy and demonstrates each exercise to the patients of all ages and each gender in this open, spacious room. He is very professional and certainly seems to know what he is doing. I felt like the problem was better diagnosed here than in the last place we went to.
Knowing that I was taking pictures, John only pretended to lift this 135 pound weight bar!
Of course, the key to physical therapy is to maintain strength and fitness in the prescribed home exercise program. John has to do this and on this occasion he did it without having to be reminded!

Since beginning this treatment with John, I have noticed that most of my children could use improvement in their posture, especially when eating.

 A long time ago, my grandmother complimented my cousin, Geraldine on her dinner posture because she ate with her back straight, bringing the food up to her mouth instead of  leaning forward and downward to the plate. I never forgot that and I learned from that moment to eat while sitting up tall.
 Apparently this wasn't one of the battles I thought was important to teach my own children, until now! Bad posture can lead to a myriad of back and neck problems and quickly becomes a very bad habit. I am now adding this area to my "reminders" for kids because good posture looks so good and by forcing the muscles to do what they are designed for, better health results.