Friday, March 27, 2015

Vacuum Reboot

I am not at all handy- I can't hang curtains or even a picture, really. The one thing I can seem to fix, by sheer necessity is a vacuum! I have no problem flipping a vacuum over to figure out what is going on with it the minute it starts to sound funny.
Sorry about this nasty dirt! The culprits in this case- are the two bobby pins on the right that invariably get caught sideways in the tubing. That creates a dam and the dirt just keeps backing up in the tubing until it is full. I carefully used the skewer on the right to break up the blockade.
Another issue that can occur is threads of carpet that roll up around the floor brush and restrict its movement, like the stuff on the bottom of the newspaper. Our vacuum won't pick up a penny, it just clatters away in the rollerbrush casing. Airsoft and regular beebees just roll away from the vacuum- it can't get them up, which is another good reason why they shouldn't be fired in the house!

Our local high end vacuum store once had a sign up "Break the junk vac habit". It also advertises "If you get tired of buying a new vacuum every year, come see us".  I do go through vacuums quickly, and I don't vacuum very often! We have had many cheap vacuums and one expensive one, and they all seem to be about the same. Being able to trouble shoot a vacuum has been very useful knowledge that I somehow picked up along the way.