Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fifty Frozen Years!

Yesterday we all celebrated a very special occasion and one that we have been anticipating for years.... Our family freezer has been in continuous operation for FIFTY YEARS!!!!! John had the honor of giving it a much needed bath.
My parents obtained this freezer before my brother was born.It was actually at a significant discount when they bought it as an incentive to buy the meat products that would then fill it.I grew up with this freezer my entire childhood. As a safety measure,  my mother always kept it locked.Eventually, when my parents no longer needed to freeze such large quantities of food, they gave it to my husband and me. When we received it we plugged it in and continued to use it.
We have had it for about twenty years. It has never had a single problem as far as I know except that the light fixture inside the lid is broken. It still freezes perfectly, although I've often wondered about its energy efficiency! It mostly holds deer meat for us. One year we had 3 or 4 professionally processed deer in here.We also freeze loaves of  bread and chicken. However, the most important thing this freezer does is hold the Klondike Bars that we use as a reward for having read a book!
While cleaning around the freezer on its birthday ( my brother turned 50  yesterday and that is how we are sure that it has been in use for 50 years- my parents bought it before he was born) we were able to see the company name, the model and serial number on the chest. I went ahead and e-mailed them to tell them the story. The company is still in business! I am hoping that maybe they'll get a kick out of it and offer to replace it with a brand new model!

We all agree that this product longevity represents something remarkable and I am so glad that it has made it to this milestone.