Saturday, August 7, 2010

Rock-A-Bye Reader

On a recent walk with my daughter, she came across some pine trees that she was able to climb. I told her that when I was a kid, we liked to climb a tree with a book and read up there. Long before she was born, her brother, Greg did this frequently at our last house in a tree in the yard. She couldn't wait to try it!
A few nights later she invited me on a walk so that she could read in a tree. We grabbed our books and headed out. I brought this checked tablecloth to sit on in the grass because my tree climbing days are over!
We were reading these books which we actually just finished. "Surrender" ( sorry ,I don't know how to underline the title) is a  novel by a catholic writer, Carmen Marcoux, that is very educationally evangelistic and entertaining. Throughout the story it hits on every scenario it can to illuminate Church teachings. It also strives to show what "courtship dating" would look like.
Miss J. was reading then and just finished " The Wizard of Oz". She is the only kid I know of who has read the book before seeing the movie!!!!!
I sat down to read while she began her ascent!
The sticky, fragrant pine sap was more than either of us had bargained for!
It was time for me to pass her book up to her.She read  a few pages but then wanted to do some more climbing and try out different seats in the tree. I just continued to read outdoors on this beautiful evening.
At about 9 pm when it became too dark to read, we headed home on a moonwalk!