Monday, February 21, 2011

Old Spice

While rearranging my spice cabinet last summer, I came upon this little can of Cayenne Red Pepper. I knew that I had had it for years, but I didn't realize just how many years until I looked at the expiration date stamped on the bottom.
The sell by date is May 13,1985. I obtained this can before my first son was born and he's now 25!
 The price of  $1.19 is also noteworthy because it is "stamped on". This was sold before grocery stores switched to scanning the UPC code. An equivalent can of red pepper sold now would be closer to $3.00!
The funniest thing about owning this can, is that despite it being moved from an apartment through three houses,  I don't ever remember using it! As a young housewife, I must have figured that every well equipped kitchen had cayenne pepper on hand. My sister suggested that if I sprinkled some of this pepper on the counter, the "granules" just might walk away!!! Although I don't ever plan to use this can of pepper at this late date, I do want to keep it in my cabinet for fun. Let's see how old spice can get!