Sunday, November 20, 2011

Quick and Easy Scrapbooking


 To preserve memories from the interesting things we have seen and done, I have discovered a quick and easy solution that has really worked for us. Blank journals are readily available in different covers and I purchased these eight years ago to record our trips as part of our homeschooling adventure. I had to buy two more, one for each younger child as they began their schoolwork. Tori's book was filled when she finished homeschooling and now it is hers to keep.
When we visit any attraction or attend an event, I pick up the pamphlet or hand-out that goes along with it, enough for each of the kids who went and myself. This means that I often take 5 or more glossy brochures  and I don't feel badly about it because they will actually be used and not thrown into the trash. 
These attractions employ professional photographers and graphic artists to showcase their features and print on excellent quality paper . There is no way I could improve on that, so I use their materials to tell their story in our scrapbooks.
In the first few years, I had each kid cut up their own pamphlet and glue it into their book. However, I pretty much do it myself now, keeping up everyone's book with the stuff they do because I really enjoy and it is fun. On the left are pictures from Franciscan University and Mary Washington  from when we were doing our college tour. On the right, is our trip to Montpelier, the home of James and Dolly Madison. The card from the restaurant we had a wonderful meal at that evening is also included.


There are very few events and places to visit that don't have printed materials of some kind to use, even special fairy birthday parties!

This trip was to Emmitsburg, Maryland to see the Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine and the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes with its outdoor Stations of the Cross.
I was able to see the arresting original photograph displayed in a museum of this woman from the Middle East that I remember seeing on the cover of National Geographic decades ago. Who could take a better picture and have it printed out for scrapbooking than this? We also ate at Chik Fil A that day so I saved that logo too. On the next page are pictures from an Agricultural Research Farm that we visited.
This is the first trip that I recorded in this way, to the National Zoo and the John Paul II Cultural Museum in September, 2003. I really try to keep up with this. Sometimes, I'll have pamphlets from a few trips in a pile waiting and I do them all at once.
Juby helped me this last time. The only equipment necessary is a pamphlet for each person, a blank journal, scissors, glue and about 30 minutes or less. That has been very doable for this busy mother!
This is our anniversary trip to Vermont taken a number of years ago. I saved the airline ticket, a view from the sky of the landscape, and some pictures from the brochure of the Bed and Breakfast we stayed at in Stowe, Vermont. Without these scrapbooks, it would be very easy to forget the beautiful things we have seen. At some point in my life, I may get into more professional scrapbooking with the many lovely supplies available to personalize one's memories. I offer this idea here because it is so EASY and fun to do for anyone who would like to preserve a record of their own and their family's excursions.