Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Project Bags

My friend and I are each homeschooling only one child this year, and these girls happen to be best friends. At the beginning of the year, we decided that one day per week, we would get the girls together at alternating houses for a special activity.
We knew that it would be easier to plan something fun for the two of them to do which could be more involved than one might plan for one's own child.
We decided to sew project bags to hold the knitting needles and yarn that we will be using over the winter months. Juby picked a cheetah print and Kit has tiger stripes.
The girls cut out their material and were able to sew some their own seams after learning by doing a few of them together with me.
For a model, I am using the project bag that I made for myself between 15 and 20 years ago. I still use it to hold my knitting, (I hope to learn to crochet this winter). At that time, I made an identical one for Grandma Dolly who also still has hers.


We are sewing a muslin lining into the fabric for sturdiness and the bags will have pockets inside to hold the little things needed for any needlework project. It is really fun for me to be able to spend some special time with the girls and to teach them a useful skill.
It is also a fabulous treat to have a couple of hours all to myself, for an absolute change when Allison has the girls at her house for an activity with her!