Thursday, December 31, 2009

Juxtaposition


This 25 cent word means to be placed side by side.On our mantle, the Nativity of Jesus is juxtaposed with His Crucifixion. I like the way the lean-to shelter of the Holy Family  points straight to the cross.Great joy is side by side with great sorrow. The statue of Mary used to be my Grandmother's and that means a lot to me.I also like the fact that it is St. Joseph who is holding the Baby Jesus. Just for the record I have never " prayed to" these statues.They are like  pictures of  people that are important to me and that I want to be reminded of, like the pictures of my family that I also have on my mantle piece. As guests come in and as we ourselves sit in the living room, we can be reminded both of  the birth and death of our sweet Lord Jesus and of his Holy parents that He allowed Himself to be subject to while He lived on earth.