Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolutions

         New Year's Eve has never been my favorite Holiday but who can resist the hope and promise of  the brand new slate that New Year's Day offers? This morning, our pastor encouraged us to look back over the past year and to not only find the areas  of our lives that need to be improved upon but to also note the things that we are doing well and to keep doing them.With this in mind, I will list a few things that I will have to beg God to help me accomplish.

1.Lose 10 pounds.As a young woman, I figured out that it was a lot easier to not gain weight than it is to lose it.I have forgotten how to do that.I have thoroughly enjoyed all that half-and-half in my coffee through the Christmas season and some nice desserts with it.For years I have been eating more per meal on my plate than I need to stay alive and feel healthy.In order to  make this happen, I will have to hire a personal trainer and wire my jaws shut


2.Go for a walk.Every day is beautiful in it's own way.Why is it so hard to get outside and move around?  Not having a car until I was 23 made walking EVERYWHERE a way of life.I'm talking about in the middle of a Vermont winter. Fortunately, I did have feet. Walking gives one a chance to meditate on many things, particularly on God's marvelous Creation.This is really do-able for me at this stage of my life.I no longer have a nursing baby to worry about and my kids would LOVE an hour's break from me.I guess that means I should start today!

3.Pray every day before I start anything. I,  like every other mother I know, have a busy day planned  almost every day.By taking a few minutes to invite God into my life and activities I can be better assured that I am living in His Will for me which is my purpose in life and where I am able to find joy and contentment.

4. Don't get Too Busy To Be Nice.I have fallen into the trap of staying so busy "doing many things" like Martha, that common courtesy has fallen by the wayside.The public sees pieces of this- my family, a lot more.The worst part is that now they are all doing it too, and they aren't even that busy!!!!If I want to have well-mannered children whose manners are so in-grained that they are automatic, I'm going to have to change my whole attitude and response pattern.This will take a miracle! Luckily, I believe in them.

Dear Lord Jesus, Thank you so much for the gift of a brand new day, year and decade.Please help us to know, love and serve you and to do your will in all things giving to you all the glory. Immaculate Heart of  Mary,pray for us.