Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mom's Book Club





        One of the more successful gimmicks that I've used to get the kids to do what I'd like them to do has been my Ice Cream Book Club.I started this past summer and it is still going strong. I purchased many boxes of good quality  ice cream treats that are much nicer than what we usually buy when this big family has ice cream.The deal is, if you read a whole book, you may help yourself to the ice cream treat of your choice.These are kept out in the garage in our big freezer (which has been in continuous operation for 49 &1/2  years!).So far, I haven't noticed these treats disappearing  without a book having been read.The older kids have to read a chapter book and John has read many Hardy Boys' adventures since this began. The 5 year old listens to me read to her, and after a good number of those, both she and I go get our Klondike Bars. Good Deal!