Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fancy Mid-Week Meatloaf


                                                                                                                                                                                          My family really enjoys meatloaf which delights me because nothing could be easier to make. There is no one
way to make meatloaf. It is a dish that is wide open to successful variation.If there ever was a recipe that included "everything but the kitchen sink", meatloaf would be it.The amazing thing is that no matter what I put into it, it always tastes the same- delicious! Tonight's meatloaf included 2 cups of leftover  potato chips that I put through the food processor. I almost used up a cup of leftover pretzels but was afraid of making it too salty. In retrospect, it wouldn't have.The most exciting thing I did tonight while preparing it was to hide  4 hard-boiled , peeled eggs inside the meat before I cooked it.Tim said that his mother used to do this. I saw the idea in a children's book that I happened to read to  Miss J.this afternoon. Meatloaf was already on the menu for tonight so  I was reminded of it on just the right day!As you can see, I always shape my  meat into two equal  loaves and place them side by side in the pan to aid in quick, even cooking.




          Another one of my favorite, routine dishes  for family meals is Cole Slaw. I LOVE cabbage. My Mother-in-law introduced me to this inexpensive,crunchy and versatile vegetable.When I grocery shop, I always pick up a cabbage to use in the next two weeks.Cole Slaw is a tasty salad side dish that is colorful and adds a tremendous amount of fiber to one's diet .It has so much crunch to it that it makes  a nice contrast to many meat dishes like meatloaf! I like to add  as many as 4 or 5 carrots to my slaw .Cole slaw is great on a sandwich, especially Sloppy Joe. If I have a lot left over and we are tired of it, I will rinse the dressing off in a colander and add the cabbage and carrot to any casserole  that I am making. To make cole slaw, chop a head of cabbage after removing the core.On the side,mix the dressing. I use a decent amount of Kraft mayonnaise. Add enough vinegar to make it sour and then enough sugar to make it sweet! Add some milk to thin it. To season, add salt,pepper and celery seed.Then pour over the cut up cabbage and processed carrots.                                                                                                                                                                    I also use raw chopped up cabbage as a layer in my Shepherd's Pie.It cooks down nicely but at the same time adds a chewy texture.No Vegetable Beef Soup is complete without a whole head of cut-up cabbage in it.The other way it can be cooked is chopped  and sauteed in a little olive oil in a skillet  and served as a vegetable side dish.Red cabbage can also be used in any of these recipes. It tastes great and contributes fantastic color.
         Thank You Lord, for abundant food. Please help us to always be grateful for it. Please help all those who are hungry and show us how we can help them to be fed.Amen.