Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Venison Tenderloin





             Most venison eaters would agree that the tenderloin is the nicest cut of meat that a deer offers. This is my recipe for the tenderloin, which I call Sirloin Tips with Peppers. The secret for cooking all cuts of venison is to soak the meat in a bowl of salted water in the fridge for a day or so before cooking. After draining, cut the meat into chunks removing any fat or gristle (which is really non-existent on this particular cut).Put the meat aside and cut up one or two assorted colored fresh peppers, an onion,3 or 4 stalks of celery and the same number of cloves of garlic Tonight I happened to have some carrot sticks cut up already and I threw them in.                             Saute the vegetables in olive oil in a large skillet. When these are done, remove them from the skillet and place off to the side. Now, brown the meat in a small amount of olive oil in the same skillet. The meat will cook very quickly  (like 10 min.) and I leave the good juices in the pan. Add the sauteed veggies back to the pan and spoon in a large can of Cream of Mushroom soup (generic is fine).I like to season with black pepper.Tonight I thought to add about 2 tablespoons of  generic Heinz 57 sauce.That gave it a very nice golden color.Other times I have used a browning sauce to darken the color of the soup to more of a gravy color.I use a flat spatula to work the soup into the ingredients and heat it on the stove for 15 minutes or so.

Tonight I served this tenderloin sauce over brown rice,but it is just as good over any cooked noodles or mashed potatoes. After we had dinner, I combined the sauce and rice into one dish which will be great tomorrow.