Sunday, October 16, 2011

Boys To Men

 Instead of cutting wood this year we ordered it to be delivered and had it dumped in the yard.
I  considered having a "stacking day" and inviting our grown sons and son-in-law to help place it in neat rows because we had some fun with that last year. No doubt, I had more "fun" than the actual workers since I  mostly cooked and served food!
Then I came to my senses and realized that all of those big guys had their own work to do and we had two able-bodied young fellows living right here that could handle this project themselves. It occurred to me that Sam is almost 14 and we only have 4 more years worth of mandatory hard labor that we can require him to do! I've wasted so many opportunities! For too long, it has just been easier and more natural to ask the older folks to help. These guys need to be brought up to speed on the ways of the strong and capable young men that they are becoming.
They embraced this project and made it easier by attaching a yard wagon to the ATV for transporting logs closer to the pile.
Our goal for them is to stack at least an hour a day until it is finished. That is, if it isn't raining!
I have noticed that in pictures, things look a lot more dangerous than they seem in real life. Yes, I am referring to the lack of helmets which was allowed in this one circumstance. By the next day, the trips were widening out from just point A ( wood mound) to point B ( stacked wood pile) to encompass other points elsewhere and the helmet rule was back in full force! In future, I will avoid making exceptions- it doesn't work.
I am making an effort to stay out of their way and let them work out the details. Micromanaging is one of my most glaring faults and  I cheat myself of peace of mind and others out of developing and implementing their own plan for success when I indulge in it.
It was a "Eureka"  moment to realize how quickly the next 4 years will pass. TODAY is the day to harness these fellows' strength and energy with increasing amounts of responsibility and hard physical work. They will certainly benefit from gaining the skills necessary  to maintain a home and yard. More and more, we need their help. Thank you, gentlemen!