Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homemade Apple Pie

Homemade apple pie seemed like just the right dessert to serve our good friends coming up for a weekend visit.

 We don't have an apple peeler and probably don't need one since these would be the first pies I've made in over five years.
I buy mixed varieties of apples by the bushel from the nearby orchard where they are grown for 16 dollars a box. They have been very good, crisp and juicy. I like to eat an apple a day when I've got them.
 This apple slicer was used to core them and then I took the skin off with a paring knife. G Money (wearing briefs) attended.
 Of course I wanted to make the crusts from scratch which is the scary and difficult part.
 14 apples were cut up and cinnamon, a small amount of sugar, and a pinch of salt were added. This recipe didn't call for butter chunks on top of the apples nor any vinegar in the crust.
They turned out well and were plenty of dessert when served with vanilla ice cream to a large crowd.