Sunday, October 16, 2011

October = Pumpkins!

 I was able to buy these nice sized pumpkins for only two dollars each at a roadside stand. I asked the youngsters to wash the dirt off them and we brought out a bucket of warm soapy water and a scrub brush for them to use.
I can honestly say that never in a million years would I have thought to actually "bathe" a pumpkin by submerging it in the pail of water, but these two did.
They dropped them in one at a time and scrubbed them in the water. I thought you had to dip your brush into the water and wash them on the deck! I also didn't realize that pumpkins float...
Duchess strolled by as Gangsta G  Dawg got right into this project. Apparently he was in charge of the heavy cleaning. All I could think of was " Not bad for a two year old!"
 These pumpkins were sold by size- the two dollar size happened to be a great fit in the bucket. Like most families, we buy a pumpkin for each person in the family. Its a personal thing- everybody gets their own to carve in any way they want to. I have had the pleasure of using my pumpkin (a much bigger one than these in past years) to cook dinner in. Once, we had a tasty hamburger goulash  and the next year, a "pumpkin custard." There is nothing to it- carve out the pumpkin ( leave the bottom intact), place the prepared food inside it, set on a cookie sheet in the oven at 375 or so and cook. Serve from the pumpkin!
Aren't they beautiful?!!! To me, pumpkins symbolize the spectacular month of October which is a very special time in this family. This month, we hope to celebrate a birthday, two wedding anniversaries (on the same day!), and the expected birth of our new grandchild, please God!.