Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lunch Lady

The one part of sending the older kids to school that I didn't realize I would enjoy so much has been  making their lunches. Monday through Friday I rise at 6 am to wake the school kids and begin my day by fixing packed lunches.
Ham and cheese is our mainstay. I always put lettuce (for crispiness) on one side of the bread and cheese on the other with the ham in between to keep the bread dry.
I am a person who speaks the "love language" of acts of service, that is I show my love by doing things for people. Other "love languages" are caring touch, kind words, giving gifts and there is one other one. I think it is spending time!
I try to show my love to the kids who are leaving for the day by giving them a nice lunch. In general, I very much enjoy feeding people.
These Rubbermaid sandwich keepers are terrific and of course are reusable. I bought enough so that I'm not scrambling to pull them out of the dishwasher in the morning but have plenty of back-up. I have packed many lunches for Meg, Tori and Brandon who was staying in the guest room one night a week for an early class.
Since our new favorite grocery store has come to town, I can pack a fun and delicious lunch less expensively! These 40 Rice Krispy Treats lasted for a couple of weeks. For the same reason, this  yogurt (at 6 for a dollar) has become a daily addition. I have a huge pack of plastic spoons and the kids just throw them out each day.
I usually pack a fruit or a vegetable each day as well. Sliced apples stay fresh in a baggie with the addition of a few drops of lemon or lime juice.
Yeah, I love symmetry!
On Fridays in Lent, meat is out of course. I could have sent peanut butter and jelly but I wanted to serve carb free protein. I quickly boiled and peeled some eggs and put a little salt and pepper in the container. On this day baby carrots were the veggie and Wheat Thins were the bread item.
By packing lunch I am able to make an accurate carb count which I write on a piece of paper and tape onto Natalie's sandwich keeper. She can give the proper amount of insulin for her lunch because I've already looked at all the packaging at home and done the math. I send bottled water but we reuse the bottles by refilling them at home.
The kids use lunch boxes, Sam the green and Natalie takes her heartthrob to school each day - JB! She also takes a second bottle of water to drink throughout the day. What I thought might be a chore at the beginning of the year has turned out to be a daily source of creative pleasure!

Thank you, Dear Lord for food to feed my children with. Please provide for all those who are hungry and help us to do the same. Amen.