Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cigar Box Craft

At least two years ago I purchased a lot of 22 wooden cigar boxes at a church yard sale for 20 bucks. Since then, I have had them in the back of my closet awaiting an inspiration for a craft for our homeschool group.
These boxes are nice and I just noticed that they smell good when you open them because they seem to be made of something like cedar.
I thought about making "Cigar Box Shrines" which are done standing the open box up on its side and then decorating the inside with a Saint picture and other related trinkets. I changed my idea to a treasure box decorated for Christmas for the kids to keep or to give as a gift.
I asked each family to bring some little Christmas decorations for their boxes and a snack to share for the kids. We were also doing Gingerbread Houses from a kit on this same day and each family was asked to bring not only a kit but also an extra bag of candy to decorate them with.

I think it was at this point that I lost the entire group!!!

After asking folks to bring decorations, I went to Michael's Crafts and found everything Christmassy at 70% off. That is because this craft was scheduled for 4 days before Christmas! I bought the place up and was prepared for 30 kids to craft away! On the actual day of the craft, and after a sleepless night worrying about it all, we crafted with only 6 children from 4 families and 4 adults!  We actually had a wonderful time but I couldn't help but wonder what had happened to the other 8-10 families that often join us. I said to one Dad there " I feel a little foolish. I am prepared for 30 kids" He said to me " What was your alternative? Not be ready for a child who came in here all excited to make something?"
I can honestly tell you that I kept that kind remark close at heart as I returned almost all of my supplies to the craft store that evening!
 I think that I have learned that families are VERY BUSY at this time of year and that asking any mother to prepare one more thing extra is too much 4 days before Christmas. Also, I need to ask folks to RSVP to get an idea of the numbers expected. Lastly, it's not about getting big numbers to attend functions but instead to enjoy each individual who could make it. That is exactly what we all did. We didn't worry about who wasn't there and why not. In this case I was graced with enough humility to focus on the moment and the process of what we were making and was able to realize that it was about the kids who showed up! The show must go on and it did!
I am going to plan another kids' crafting day to make "Spring Boxes" with my scads of leftover wooden cigar boxes when things slow down and offer this to my homeschool group OR to all of my nieces and nephews. I will gather all of the supplies and not impose on folks to bring stuff when they don't have a clear idea of what actually is needed.