Monday, February 24, 2014

A Fresh Air Filter

A year and a half ago, we were fortunate to have hired a great bunch of guys who installed a central heating and air conditioning system into our finished basement. I remember asking the gentleman how often we should change the filter to the system. he must have been busy working at the time because the answer that I heard was "about every three years."
It occurred to me that I change the filters to the upstairs system about every month to six weeks. I looked it up on the web and sure enough, the downstairs  filter should be changed every three months, not years! Feeling silly because of course this makes sense, it seems so ungrateful to forget to change the filter on this very nice system which was an investment. I hate to think about the dirt involved that we were trying so hard to get rid of by putting in a new air handler in the first place!
These four to five inch filters are not available locally and were ordered online.


The filter has been changed and I marked the date on the calendar on which to do it again. Now we need to get into the attic to see if that fairly new air handler has one of these thick filters on it as well!