Monday, February 24, 2014

The Purse Caper

I had been thinking about purchasing a new purse as mine was showing noticeable signs of wear, when the strap broke off and there was no turning back. I began to search for a purse that I liked in a burst of "speed shopping." The above purse is one of four purses that I actually purchased and then returned in one weekend.
I looked at purses in at least ten different stores and in some of those twice.
If there is one thing about purses, it is that they are VERY personal.
Although I wanted a new purse to look good, what I really need is for it to function efficiently.
It is unbelievable how much of a selection there is to choose from. I estimate that I looked at 400-500 purses on this one weekend. 99 per cent of them I could say no to right away. They just weren't for me.
I took an hour at a time throughout a busy weekend to go as fast as I could through the different plazas around town and the mall. For me, shopping has never been recreational. It is about accomplishing a mission. Natalie just read to me a funny Tweet  "Shopping for clothes is only fun if you are rich and skinny."
 I agree and don't qualify!
These bags are so expensive at $398. 00 that they are displayed on locked bars. The saleslady has to release each one using a key while she stands there.
These real leather bags, which are also about 400 dollars a piece have a thick wire cable running through the handles to prevent theft. While they are very pretty, that leather is heavy. One of these purses weighs many pounds even before you put your stuff into it.
I own only one purse and I will carry it for the next five years like I did the last one and the one before that. As pretty as these were, I can't justify that expense for this country gal. I am sure that for some jobs and situations in life, it matters what purse one carries. For me, I just want to carry my checkbook and be able to find my keys in a jiffy when I am coming out of Wal-Mart.
This is the purse I settled on and am quite happy with. I found it at Target for about 30 dollars. It doesn't have an outside pocket for keys which was almost a deal breaker but I have added a small cameo hooked chain (a thoughtful gift from a friend) on one side to differentiate which side is which. I like the way this purse looks youthful and up to date, suits my needs and was at a price that I can feel comfortable with.