Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pilgrimage to the House of Mercy

I am always up for a good field trip so when the Legion of Mary invited the Homeschoolers to join them on their annual pilgrimage, we were delighted to go.
 I didn't know what the House of Mercy was and thought it might be a convent, but found out that it is a Catholic lay organization that strives to help the poor in any way they can.

Their motto is "Making Christ's Love Visible Every Day." Their location was certainly not scenic, deep in a maze of industrial buildings in Manassas. It made me think that any poor person would need a car and a GPS to be able to find them!
Inside the building was very beautiful. My extended family has a particular love for the Pieta and the tremendous sorrow it invokes since the death of my little nephew, Adam.
 We went to see this beautiful grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. This scene depicts the appearance of Mary to a poor peasant girl, Bernadette Soubirous, in France in 1858. When the young teen-ager asked the Lady who she was, The beautiful Lady said, "I am the Immaculate Conception". The Lady asked Bernadette to dig in the dirt and a clear spring bubbled up where there had been no water before. That spring is still flowing and pilgrims come from all over the world to receive healing in the water.
Bernadette is my confirmation name because when I was a child, I would pray and hope that Mary would appear to me as well. She hasn't. Yet.
The altar is right beside the grotto in this cave like structure.

Our parish priest, a great guy, said Mass for us and offered it for our intentions.The Gospel for that day was from John 16 29-33. "But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world." Father talked about this message to the kids and Moms.

 The stone benches were wonderful for the kids to sit on and gave an outdoor feel to the place.


After Mass, the very pretty director of the ministry, talked about their work with the poor. She told some descriptive stories about the power of prayer, particularly the Rosary (a series of prayers asking for the intercession of Mary while meditating upon the life of Jesus), while they were bringing disaster relief to the people in Haiti after the devastating earthquake.
She also discussed the fact that giving canned goods to hungry people in these situations is less than ideal because the food quality isn't equitable.One person might get a can of tuna, the next a can of gravy. She said that in their offices, they put together bagged meals that have protein, carbohydrate, vegetables and some fat. Community groups, like the Boy scouts, come in and help them prepare them. They have tens of thousands of these nutritious meals which only require water, ready to deliver to starving people.
Their inspiration is the unfathomable depths of the Divine Mercy of God which Sr. Faustina told the world about.
Jesus, I trust in you.
Here are the kids that came on the trip.I am thrilled to say that I know all of these kids' names and I see them fairly often. They are full of faith and are the future of our Church.
The Moms and babies got into the picture here. After Mass and the presentation, it was time to head to Bull Run Park for a picnic lunch.
The weather was ideal if you like it sunny and HOT as I do. The Moms chatted while the kids played.
I would like to mention how much I appreciate the evangelistic work of the director of our parish's Legion of Mary.
This lovely lady, Barb, pictured with her husband who joined us on the pilgrimage, has spent YEARS (over 20, at least) of her life teaching children to pray the Rosary and to love the Lord. She and her husband will celebrate their 50th anniversary, (please God), this August. I enjoyed meditating on the far reaching effects of her ministry into eternity. She is always smiling and beautifully dressed. I joked with her husband that he was lucky to have found a woman who was both stylish and holy. Forgive me for saying that they don't always go together!!!!!
Although I have never taken the time to join the Legion of Mary or have the kids participate, this field trip convinced me that joining this very worthwhile organization made up of great people would be a terrific use of our time. I look forward to doing just that.
Before we left Bull Run Park, I wanted to see the actual "Run" and hoped to find the place where the bluebelles bloom when in season which I have heard so much about.
I think I may have found it.
The kids and I took some time by ourselves to enjoy the riverbank.
While driving home, I thought about how blessed I am to have a husband working so hard in the city, making it possible for me to enjoy such a lovely day out with my children and friends, and was grateful.