Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Coffee and Books

I like to say that " Books are my one addiction" or that "Buying books is my only vice". This of course, is not true. I  also am crazy about drinking coffee!!!! Unfortunately, the living room was starting to look like a used book store. We were able to find a solution in this interesting and unique coffee table.
My mother says " If you are going to have readers, then you are going to have books." I value the reading of good books.
 I am not bothered too much by visual clutter, but many people are. I wanted to be able to manage the books without tucking them into a bookshelf every time we put them down.

The reason I love this table is because the glass surface can be clear and clean and ready for a cup of coffee, while the shelf  4 or 5 inches below it can hold the books that we are currently reading. When the kids or I sit down, it is easy to SEE and grab our book. After all, "Out of sight, out of mind". That's what we don't want!
The drawers could hold games or a basket of toys ( maybe the toys that are crowding the fireplace hearth!)
We purchased this coffee table for the other side of our living room but it seemed too bulky there. Moving it to the this side worked much better especially after bringing up these almost matching end tables from the basement. The cherry finish appeals to me against the green couches.
It has been wonderful to be able to relax and place a cup of coffee on a smooth surface while still being able to reach for a favorite book.