Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Dinner Solution

 While picking  Tori up from work at 4 pm, without a dinner plan in sight, I  said "Lord, you've got to help me out, please." It's not like I've been too busy to cook and dinner sneaks up on me (just the opposite)! It's more a case of not having any inspiration for an appetizing summer dinner. I specialize in soups, stews and casseroles and no one wants to eat any of those in the heat.
When I drove in the driveway and saw Sam pulling out our new grill, I realized that my prayer had just been answered.
He looked in the freezer and found frozen chicken breasts and asked if they could be grilled. Well, absolutely, and a plan was in place! The chicken thawed in the microwave in no time and we spiced it with Season-All and Lemon Herb Seasoning.
 Sam wants to become an expert griller and is the right age to learn.
It was fabulous to have someone besides me doing the cooking and I took the opportunity to enjoy a fresh, hot cup of coffee while keeping him company.
He was really in charge of this meal and brought over some tables and chairs so that we could eat outside.
With an outdoor feast in the works, we picked up the phone and invited some of our favorite dinner guests!
They came right over, delighted to join us and apparently got the memo on the uniform for the day!
The chicken was starting to smell really good. We figured it must have been driving the neighbors crazy!
We didn't have time to wash the tables as the coals don't take nearly as long to heat up as I thought they did. We added a salad to the menu...
and a can of good beans.
Sam served the chicken that he grilled for us. I loved seeing the "pride of ownership."
The old saying " Every thing tastes better outside" is true. We thoroughly enjoyed this very special dinner completely engineered by Sam who was perhaps inspired by that prayer offered up only an hour and a half earlier.
 I now have discovered what every other person has known for years. In the summertime, you buy food that can be grilled, and you cook and eat outside as often as possible. It is more fun and so delicious!