Saturday, October 20, 2012

Quick and Easy Dinner

It is always fun to try a new dinner idea and I had high hopes for this combination.
I picked up smoked sausage and a whole grain product, red beans and rice. This company has the most appealing packaging. On the back of the package they tell all about the fact that they make their own electricity at their farm. I was intrigued! Better yet, this frozen item was only fifty cents!
The sausage was cut up, browned in a skillet and then added to the red beans and rice which was all ready to go straight out of the package. i put it all into the crockpot. After heating for awhile, this meal wanted to get a little dry so I added a few cups of white grape juice which is so delicious. That moistened it well and gave a good flavor.
This would have been better if I hadn't doubled the recipe and used two of each product because one night was enough for this and the crockpot wasn't the best way to cook it as it dried out over time.