Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fresh Bread

A good friend of mine has the awesome job of picking up the leftover bread from that day's supply at an upscale local bread store, once per week. Her duty is to deliver it to a Food Bank in the next town.

 Twice now it has so happened that the Food Bank was closed due to snow or a holiday. I have been able to assist her in dispersing big boxes of this delicious artisan bread and pastries!
It is certainly to their credit that the bread store/restaurant goes to the trouble to make sure this bread is sent to feed the poor and that the food is not wasted. In order to accomplish this same goal when the food bank is closed, it is great fun for me to deliver loaves of uncut bread to my friends and every family I can get to until it is gone, all in one day.
After visiting my neighbors, I headed up to  Mom and Dad's house to visit. We picked up the little cousins to visit at Mom's with us after setting them up at home with of loaves, baguettes and pastries to eat and freeze.
The bread is sent out of the store in big boxes and part of the management process for me has been to bag it up in family sized portions in plastic grocery bags. I took the bread up to Mom's to help give it away.
 We fed the kids some cupcakes...
and had a wonderful visit.
Before I left Mom's, I was able to package up the sweets nicely because they had all been put into one large box.
Not wanting so many calories in my house, I continued to pass out the bread and pastries to more friends until 10 pm that night when it was all gone. This was a super fun job because everyone was pleased to receive a bag of fresh-smelling, specialty baked bread to enjoy over the cold weekend, to eat with a pot of soup or chili, perhaps.