Thursday, December 19, 2013

Book Inventory


While the computer area was rearranged,  my homeschool bookshelves were emptied and the books remained in piles for a couple of weeks. It was time to put things in order and I planned to downsize a bit. Each item was inventoried in my mind and grouped according to subject area.
These flash cards, in great condition are over 50 years old according to the date on the bottom of the box. In beautiful cursive, there is a note " Given to Sr. Bernardine by Mrs.Irish" I don't know these ladies but it evoked fond memories of Catholic School in my mind.
This huge amount of flashcards were made by Greg, I would think in First Grade.  His handwriting improves as one goes through the stack. Each card has his initials on the back. I have saved them this long, it won't be too much longer until we can give them to Handsome to learn his sight words from!
 These flash cards were beautifully written by Larry's Mom, Sally. She made them when she lived with us in town and she used to help Meg to read with them. We used them with the younger kids as they came up.
For the first time, my books are arranged by subject.If I am looking for a phonics/ learning to read book, I should be able to locate it easily.

I gave away only a few things that I had extras of or knew I would never need. With older kids in school, I thought that I might consider selling or donating many of my resources but I just am not ready to do that. I Love these books. I Love Homeschooling. "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life." That's how I feel about Homeschooling. As I evaluate the results of homeschooling, I see young adults of fine character with excellent work ethics and a strong love for family.
I don't yet see folks who share my strong love for the Church, which was one of my goals, but I continue to pray about that and leave it all up to the Holy Spirit. The Lord's ways are far superior to our little plans and are a mystery. I don't know what the future holds, but I will continue to cherish these books which hold so many good memories for me.