Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My New Life

I was not prepared for the huge change that occurred in my life when my youngest child, the only student I was homeschooling, went to school. I wasn't ready to give up homeschooling which has made up my Identity for many years. Although I wasn't a purist in that most of the kids have been in school at points along the way, I have been at home with a child for twenty-nine years and homeschooling at least one child (sometimes many) for about twenty.
The last two months have been a time of loss for me. I really miss sitting down with any kind of  book and a kid, all comfy on the couch with a cup of coffee. I LOVE academics! It was so satisfying and fun to read about any kind of history or even English grammar. I also LOVE the Faith. I really enjoyed sharing true stories about great men and women of God, saints and martyrs, and stories of happy family life full of character and virtue. The Catholic faith celebrates the good, the true and the beautiful wherever these are found.
I do remember sitting there thinking that if I wasn't homeschooling, surely my house would be very clean and I would be getting big projects done like painting a room.That has turned out to be a myth!
I have been dealing with a lot of sadness and a feeling of having no purpose. I have lost my mission. I am trying to discover what I am being called to at this point in my life. I am just starting to feel like I can actually be happy again.
So these are some of the things that I have filled my time with lately.
Washing curtains.
Washing Legos...

and setting them out to dry.
This is when you know you've got time on your hands!
Volunteering to help for a Science Lab,
Rolling pennies,

Enjoying my family,
and working on my spiritual life!
I am spending time with the Lord; "Wasting time with God" as I recently heard said on the radio.
I hope that by praying for my friends and my whole extended family I can be useful and helpful.
I am staying busy- each day fills up quickly.
What I am NOT doing, is heavy cleaning the house beyond the usual!
One Day at a Time, God's Will will be revealed to me as to what He is calling me to do.
I wouldn't mind it a bit if that included homeschooling again.
For now, there is plenty to do to just be in the day- praying for guidance as to how to contribute my time and energy for His Glory.