Monday, November 24, 2014

Zombie Run

Either I've come a long way or I've gone completely off the deep end! I allowed John to participate with his cross country team in the Zombie 5K Run.
He and his buddies donned surgical outfits and were positioned along the trail which the runners would come through.
Like Flag Football, each runner had a belt with two flags on it. The kids had to try to remove a tag from the runners because the winner of the race prize money had to be the first person to come in with a flag still on!
For me, this is a bit of a dangerous concept. I was very afraid of ankle injuries occurring among the runners who not only have to run a decent distance but also have to sidestep the well rested youth in zombie costumes.
The ugliness of the costumes in this case contrasted with the beauty of the fall morning! There was a time when we wouldn't have participated in anything with the word Zombie in it. I used to be afraid of that word and idea. It seems to have gone mainstream, however. I'm not sure if that's good or bad!
After trying this, we probably won't do it again, but I wanted to have John do something outside with his teammates.