Thursday, February 12, 2015

Turnip, Turn Up!

I cooked a good dinner using these terrific winter root vegetables- Turnips!
The purple color is so unusual and pretty, but when peeled these starchy veggies are white like potatoes and in fact are a substitute for them. They have more flavor than potatoes though, like a very mild horseradish.
You can't go wrong with carrots to add sweetness, color and just overall food value to any roast.
I sauteed celery and onion in the big red dutch oven that I love to cook in.
I didn't take another picture until half the meal was eaten!
Venison Tenderloin was the meat used for this dinner. The pot was full and it smelled delicious!
We had a big crowd to eat with us and it felt like a party!
We served this group...
and then Sam and his buddies ate two bowls apiece.
I was very pleased with this winter dish and look forward to cooking turnips again,
and maybe some rutabagas!