Saturday, November 16, 2013

Handsome's Blanket and Pillow

This busy grandma finished her sixth afghan, this one for my grandson, Handsome.
Although his room is baby blue, Cindi  liked the idea of adding some green in his blanket.
I am told that he likes it!
This little guy also was given a pillow because of a crochet  mistake I  made along the way. When I began his blanket, I decided to change my hook size a few inches into it. That created a "bow" that could not be repaired. A friend suggested that I stop right there and turn my project into a scarf. I restarted a new afghan from the beginning for Hank.
Instead of a scarf that would be too thick for anyone to actually wear, I realized that this piece would make a great matching pillow!

 I bought matching fabric and poly-fill..
I sewed the pillow insert and crocheted a pocket into the case.
An old hand-me-down skirt had five nice brown buttons on it that were used to close the case up. The inner pillow can now be removed and both pieces laundered.
The buttons were able to go through the crochet and I didn't have to make any special button holes.
A week after Handsome got his afghan, he received a matching pillow. I hope they hold up for many years.