Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hemming for the Band


I volunteered to hem uniform pants for the high school band. This was a fun and challenging project.
A small (about 4 feet long) Costco table is my new project surface and was a huge help for laying out the trousers to measure and pin them. Each pair had a piece of masking tape on them stating how many inches or "snaps" should be hemmed up.
I used the big hat pins or corsage pins that I bought for the wedding flowers for pinning. These big pins are so nice. I prefer them to the small straight pins. They look nicer and are much easier to handle.
Notice the snaps running up the insides of these trouser legs? The theory is that one could snap up the length needed to fit the student but they really aren't secure enough to hold through normal wear and tear. They were good length markers. Some of the pants said "up three snaps". So, I snapped up three and then hemmed everything by hand. Pressing with a steam iron did wonders to smooth the new hems down.

I did all seventeen pairs of pants and hemmed one jacket at the cuffs in two and half days. This project was a joy to complete as I had the materials for two weeks before I could get to them. They were delivered to the high school with a day or two to spare!