Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sewing Box Antiques

I made a special occasion out of cleaning and organizing Grandma Dolly's sewing box after her passing.
I knew it would be fun and interesting, but I didn't expect to find so many antiques!
In this old case,
she kept safety pins.
These straight razors have company names on them and must have been given out as advertising.
There were many old spools of Coats and Clark thread and packages of sewing needles.

Buttons, buttons everywhere... I don't know what the metal tool with the hoop above was used for.
Very old medals, skeleton keys and even bullet casings were in the collection.
I was fascinated by this recipe for Hungarian Pot Roast found on the cover of a book of matches. This recipe calls for a can of Hunts tomatoe sauce poured over a chuck roast with mushrooms, carrots and onions and then cooked. That sounds delicious! I want to make this!
I washed everything and dried it out in the sunshine,
then had the pleasure of reorganizing it for home sewing projects.