Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Good News, Bad News

At the risk of coming off like a pompous jerk, I am happy to report that all four book reports for the second quarter are FINISHED. I didn't want my sisters to be think I was just being mean so I didn't plan to mention it until the mess down below occurred to balance things out! Last week we worked hard and Tori in particular had a crazy amount of work to submit to our homeschooling program. She sent in three History Tests, three nutrition forms on vegetables she had never tried (these were leeks, fresh ginger and avocado which made for interesting recipes), a Religion test and her book report (Good-bye, Mr. Chips) which had three essays.This all represents a lot of hard work as my sisters know since we all use the same program. I always ask myself "Why are we doing this?" But, I can see all the critical thinking that goes into these book analyses which are much more than a simple re-telling of the plot. Anyway, there is no time to sit on our laurels- Week 19 started today with its own boatload of work.


In preparation for the next 12-20 inches of snow forecast  for today and tonight, I turned my bathtub on to fill so that we would have water to flush toilets with in case we lose power. We have a well that is powered by electricity. I sat down to do Math with Miss J. who wanted to do 4 pages and then we did her phonics. Eventually, I wandered back to my bedroom to get something and found 2 inches of standing water, and the tub just pouring out. Downstairs, it was worse.The carpet is soaked. These pictures were taken in the dark so we wouldn't get shocked. The basket of wet towels must weigh 25-30 pounds because I can't lift it. It wouldn't be so bad if this was storm inflicted, but it was pure forgetfulness that caused this mess.

In preparation for the Blizzard, Jeff packed his electronics before arriving here. He has taught his younger brothers to play Warcraft. They are having a good time and, as it is obvious that the shoveling and the schoolwork are getting done, I am trying not to be a wet blanket. I always have mixed feelings on "screen games". My own computer skills are so limited and Jeff's are very advanced. He is enjoying playing with them and they are learning computer skills that I can't teach. I'm pretty sure that computers are here to stay and when used properly are a BLAST! This game seems to be old-fashioned fun and the young guys are taking advantageof this wonderful opportunity to spend time with their brother who moved out five years ago and who has now been here for 5 days!