Monday, February 1, 2010

Stink Bug Wanderers

       My family will not be impressed that I am sharing with you that we have at least one stink bug amble harmlessly about the living room on a daily basis. It was the summer of 08 that I first noticed this new kind of bug that particularly likes to walk on screens. I called the extension office and described the shield on its back and really got no helpful information about what to do with them.They do not bite nor sting, make only a slight noise when flying from one location to another and are very easy to catch.Their main fault (besides being a bug), is that if you kill them, they let off an odor that is very strong, musky and distinct.They are not tiny and their shield is tough so I have no desire to kill them and release that odor into the house. I also am not interested in applying some kind of pesticide around this houseful of people. Instead, I have added to my list of daily duties the task of capturing the  stink bug of the day and putting it out on the deck. I have honestly wondered and hoped that it is the same bug that finds its way in each day but it probably is not. I recently heard that these bugs were released by some organization in an effort to decrease the lady bug population because they eat lady bugs. It seems to be a neighborhood problem, either too many of one or the other. For now, it really is no big deal. It could be locusts.