Thursday, February 4, 2010

Illusions of Grandeur

The local grocery store managers have gotten together to predict a winter blow-out of epic proportions.I had heard a snow accumulation estimate of 2-4 FEET as of this morning. So as I stood in line at comcast to return a box and saw their forecast of 3-5 INCHES, I said WHAT!!!!!!!!I was so disappointed I felt like I wanted my money back. But not to worry, a guy in line pulled out his I-phone and stated that the number was really 12 inches. The newspaper today said 20 inches. Whatever happens (snow wise), we should be ready.I did our regular shopping with the addition of Superbowl food this morning.There was plenty of everything on the shelves. I also picked up some nice ski mitten/gloves that should stay dry much longer than the small stretchy gloves the kids usually wear. I bought myself an inexpensive pair of snow boots. My last pair lasted for 25 years. I threw them out when cleaning the garage this fall so that I would be forced to buy a new pair.Incidentally, all the winter stuff is already on sale to make way for the next season's items. I will fill buckets of water tomorrow in case we lose power. I made sure that we have coffee already ground up to perc on the gas stove in case I can't use the electric grinder. Jeff drove in to spend the week-end with us and has Mon. off so he can stay for the game.Greg cut down another dead (I hope!) tree and chopped it up both yesterday and today.We will hit the First Friday Mass (please, God) in the early morning and head home before it all  starts