Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pillowcase Dresses

 Look at this high -tech set-up! The pattern is no longer on a piece of paper, but is on the Internet instead!
 With the end of summer's free-time approaching, I decided to tackle this project that has been in my closet for two years. I wanted to try my hand at making the "pillowcase dresses" that Aunt Nancy introduced us to.
 I picked these two gorgeous pillowcases up at a church yard sale for 50 cents a piece. I bought matching ribbon and thread and left it all in the bag for a rainy day.
 I know that I was afraid to try this project and I was also waiting for my little friend to get tall enough to wear the finished product.
 The day finally came. Amazingly, this was so easy to do that I got one finished in between errands! Note the armholes cut out and the chest and back piece shirred with elastic in a casing.
 The coordinating ribbon trim is the best part, but the older, high quality pillowcases are also very nice in themselves.
I don't mind that this is long on her, because she ( like my tall niece does), will be able to wear this for many years to come.

 The second one is an ivory colored pillowcase with at least 5 or 6 inches of beautiful lace along the bottom.
I trimmed it out in sage green. The arms are outlined with seam bias, and the ribbon was used to decorate the elastic shirring, the lace bottom and is also used to tie the dress on.