Friday, April 4, 2014

Lenten Suppers

Three Fridays in a row, I have prepared lots of food for our Church's Lenten Suppers. The first week the menu was Baked Potatoes with every kind of fixing one could think of. That night, our contribution was homemade Vegetable Chili. I can only cook in large quantities, and by purchasing a second crock pot, I was able to deliver twice as much hot cooked food to church.. Both were filled and every bite was eaten by the crowd of 150 parishioners who came out to share a meatless meal with folks from church. The meal is free but donations are accepted for our groups.
The next week was Italian food and it was our pleasure to bring Stuffed Shells. They were a big hit!
I really do like it when people eat my food!
This past Friday was grilled cheese and soup night. I was swamped with other commitments and just didn't have the time or energy to make homemade soup- all that chopping and cooking! Larry suggested that I buy soup to put in my crock pots. New England Clam Chowder filled one and Vegetarian Vegetable filled the second. No one seemed to mind the soup from a can and once again everything was consumed!
The table above is decorated with our tablecloth and the St. Joseph statue that my cousin Terry gave to me a long time ago and which usually sits on our mantle. A St. Joseph's Table is an Italian Tradition. It is filled with bread and butter.
Each parish group usually receives about 400 dollars in donations from putting on a Lenten Supper. In addition, there is wonderful fellowship among the group members who bring in loads of cooked food from home to share and the parish folks who dine in the church hall on Friday nights during Lent.