Monday, April 26, 2010

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

It was looking like another dull Saturday night around here until about 7 p.m. when Jeff called to say that he was making the 2 hour drive  to play some Canasta! Now we were all ready to party! I headed to our locally owned convenience store to pick up some Doritoes and Diet Coke. While I was there, I bought two pounds of homemade sausage and planned to cook a nice breakfast in the morning.
I used a box mix to make biscuits. Although I've been cooking for many years, biscuits intimidate me.This mix was still labor intensive in that butter had to be "worked "into it. In the future, I'll just use a recipe and some flour, baking soda and probably less salt than the mix had in it.
I browned the ground sausage and drained it over a bowl. Into the skillet I added back about 2-3 Tablespoons of the grease and a third to a half cup of flour. This I heated while mixing with a spatula until it darkened into what is called a "roux". This thick roux makes it possible to add a lot of milk which then thickens smoothly without lumps.

The cooked , drained sausage, pepper, and salt (to taste) were added to the milky gravy and heated to the consistency that I desired. I wanted to make enough to go around and added milk which continued to thicken in just a few minutes.
By then it was getting kinda busy for me and Tori helped to bake the biscuits to a golden brown without letting them get dry.
Sausage Gravy can be served over an opened biscuit or over the top of  a thinner biscuit. This was very tasty! The sausage, which I had purchased because it was locally made, had a delicate flavor and wasn't heavy.
 
We all enjoyed it, especially Jeff ,who gets very little homemade food and is very appreciative of it.
Bless us O Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive, from Thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord. Amen.