Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tasty Tuna Salad

          Around here, lunch is prepared for eight or nine people. Breakfast is often cereal and by lunchtime, protein is on the menu.It is a very rare day indeed when peanut butter and jelly are what's for lunch.Tuna salad is one of our favorite lunches.My nephew, Tristan, recently raved about my tuna recipe and asked for it, which I got a real kick out of!
         I used to buy the chunk light tuna but the quality has been noticeably reduced and I now buy either the chunk or solid white tuna in water. It is a little more than a dollar per can, and we open four to five cans for a meal.We find it so worth taking the extra ten minutes to add these additional ingredients which not only make the meal tastier and crunchier but most importantly, stretch the food to feed more people well.
         We will cut at least three or four stalks of celery and a whole onion, and then add relish, Kraft mayonnaise and French dressing. For seasoning, pepper, onion powder and a little salt are thrown in. It is so delicious that this makes for a great dinner with tomato soup on the side.
            As an experiment, I recently tried buying the super large can of tuna sold for institutions (some days we qualify!) which is sold for ten dollars.I added all the extras above in larger quantities.I could not believe how much it made, probably enough for twenty sandwiches. I simply stored the leftover in Gladware, and we were ready for lunch the next day. Honestly, it lasted into the third day and was still good but this is as far out as anyone wants to go with this particular left-over!
      For my lunch, I had my tuna salad over this fresh Romaine lettuce.I acquired a salad spinner from my late mother-in-law and it does make a big difference in being able to wash and serve lettuce nicely and quickly.I attempted to eat this without dressing but decided to make it even better with the addition of balsamic vinegar dressing. I know how blessed we are to be able to eat and serve good food to our children. Dear Heavenly Father, please provide for the needs of all your hungry children in the world and show us how to help them, through Jesus, your Son and our Lord.Amen.