Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Well Loved Dressing Table

        As you can see from the two cracks in the edges of the upper basket, this dressing table is on its last legs. It is leaning forward,too. I will be sorry to see it go because this incredibly useful piece of baby equipment means a lot to me. Andrea and Tim gave it to me when I was expecting Jeff, who will be 25 next month. Andrea was 11 and Tim was 8 years old when they obtained it from their baby-sitter,who was finished with it, and gave it to me.The sweetness of this beautiful gesture and the help from their mother to make it happen still touches me.They generously welcomed their half sibling.There must have been layers of feelings in that gift.
        Their charitable and loving response is why I  have loved this handy item so much. I have used it with my eight children and my daughter is using it now with my grandson.The buckets underneath have held stacks of baby clothing and function as a dresser.The top is a great changing table and actually came with a baby tub under the lid. I never did use that part and removed it to make it easier to access the wicker baskets.
       When I found out that I was expecting a girl with Miss J., Aunt Catherine came over and we recovered the top with a fabric pattern called "Daisy Kingdom".We sprayed the baskets a lovely white as they were by that time an old and faded yellow. It was always a pleasure to get this dressing table out and to start loading it with little undershirts, receiving blankets and baby nightgowns.We keep this in the living room where Meg has it full of diapers, wipes, lotion and a few spare outfits.The top of it comes in way too handy as a catch all for baby blankets, jackets and shoes! Larry and I decided a long time ago that we wouldn't be able to keep house as if there were no children living here.
          It won't be too much longer until this dressing table falls over.The little guy is 16 months old so the timing will be about right.This usually unsentimental Mom will give this piece up sadly, because it represents so much to me. I will always remember the love and generosity that came with this gift. Thank you so much, Andrea ,Tim and Diana.