Monday, June 25, 2012

All Hands On Deck

Perfect weather, if you like it hot and dry, graced the day as Greg and many family members labored to build a beautiful deck on the back of his and Cindi's house.
The prep work was already done when the help arrived. The lumber had been purchased, the footprint for the deck dug out and some key support footer boards cemented into place.

I saw almost no time wasted while I was there because Greg was clearly in charge of what needed to be done and in what sequence. Everyone worked very hard and steadily.
Having good tools is a huge help. Knowing how to use them is even better!


I loved seeing the Dads from both sides of Greg and Cindi's family working together in addition to brothers, in-laws and a nephew. This is how boys learn to be manly men! 
It won't be long before little He-man will also be toting a hammer...He's going to love his new deck!
The ladies set up a blanket on which to visit and let the cousins play.

I took pictures early in the day as these parallel base boards were being added. I forgot my camera on my return trip in the evening after they had finished building the entire base of the deck in one day!
The next week-end was equally sunny, dry and hot! Tim, Colby and Greg got to work early. Even Uncle Tom stopped by to lend some encouragement.
The guys worked together to add the last board under the siding.
The week before, Sam had shown me the razor sharp "flashing", a piece of aluminum or tin, cut to fit which prevents rainwater from wicking up under the siding. Each of them had gotten cut on its edge. The last board fits together with this flashing for a water resistant seal.
The Carport was a shady place to cut lumber.
Later on, Mom and Dad arrived to hang out with everyone.
Mom always used to watch my father do projects around the house, just to be able to spend time together. That's why I was here, also. We pulled up chairs in the shade, very content to be outdoors together on a beautiful summer day.
It took no time for Dad to jump in and help his grandson. He helped for a good long while, too.
By the following weekend, the rails were up and one set of stairs completed. The huge new deck adds lots of outdoor living space to Greg and Cindi's home. I hope to enjoy a grilled hamburger soon and  someday look forward to watching my grandson play in his big backyard!