Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bug Project

Natalie finished a three part bug project that had the whole family involved. The part that the younger kids and I helped with was catching and freezing many different kinds of bugs for her to later "pin". We went on many morning and afternoon walks carrying an empty plastic ice cream bucket to collect bugs in. I captured a hornet, beetle, a huge mud dauber, a cricket , a horsefly and others. John caught a dragon fly, a bumble bee and a mosquito.

He also discovered an extra large green lunar moth that was at least three inches long and the same width across. They are not common and all I could see was an easy "A" for the project. I had it in the bucket but he opened the lid, refusing to let it be frozen for the sake of high school science, and allowed it to fly away despite my pleading. He said to me "I called you out here to SEE it, Mom, not to kill it." He really had me there. This was a very exciting project to help with. Even now, every time I see a bug, I feel compelled to capture it!