Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cap of Shame


In this post, I will attempt to turn a defect into an asset. We have had a very disappointing evening and day here.
I allowed my daughters to go to the Mall with their very good friend last night. Since Tori is a senior and in three months will be eighteen, I reminded them all that this sister is 14 and they should be very careful. They arrived home safely a couple of hours later, and I thanked God for that as I do every time I hear the car come into the driveway. Their dear friend spent the night and all was well until I went downstairs to say Good-night and saw that Natalie's Dirty Blond hair had just been died Dark Brown!!!!!!
I'm sure that you can imagine my feelings of shock and outrage, disappointment, disbelief and betrayal. Needless to say, it has been a Very Bad Day around here.The punishment will be serious and long lasting. Neither T. nor N. will leave the house until this hair comes back to its original color.That should be in about 1 month to six weeks. N. may only take one shower a day to wash it out, as it lasts for 28 shampoos.So, why am I telling you about this?
          I was so depressed and bummed out that my chest felt full of anguish this evening. I didn't know who to call but did finally call my friend and trusted adviser. The whole family cleaned the house all day because that is what we do when we get angry and upset. I told Natalie that she must wear a hat in church tomorrow and while outside in the yard because "Good Heavens, What Would the Neighbors Think?????"
In response to that, Meg brought up a hat for Natalie to wear until her hair goes back to normal. Alas, the Cap of Shame. The older kids all wanted to know where the great big A was. That's the trouble with having an education. In the same vein, the cap was created to look like a cross between a puritan headdress and a dunce cap, but has Nothing to do with those other white caps that are offensive to all.
        She thinks her hair looks good and both she and her sister are pretending that they don't get it. "Its only hair!", they say. Well, it is my duty to make sure that they figure it out. Nonetheless, This Cap broke the ice and we all could laugh and smile again. When I said that we must need counseling, N. said that we all couldn't fit into anyone's office.
             Jeff arrived after driving two hours to play Canasta with his family. So, it couldn't be helped, Tori had to make an ice cream run to the grocery store. She volunteered to wear the cap in the store.

      Tomorrow, Larry and I will evaluate the punishment we have dealt and make sure that it is reasonable and appropriate to fit this crime. Meanwhile, my homeschooled 8th grader and I will walk around together with my graying hair and her dark brown locks.