Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Our Pieta at Golgotha



I would like to share the story of my Mary Garden. This statue of Our Sorrowful Mother was a gift to me on Mother's Day from my husband. We wanted to set it up in our yard and so we put it in a wheelbarrow to try it out in different locations.When we came to the spot in the above picture, we noticed the three trees growing near to each other.When we tried the statue here, it immediately reminded us of the three Crosses at Calvary, the center one for Jesus with the thieves on either side.The tree on the right has a large natural open area that reminded me of the tomb, with the rock that sealed the entrance until the Resurrection.The Pieta depicts the moment when the body of our Lord was taken down from the Cross and placed in the arms of His Sorrowful Mother.On Good Friday, I add a red drapery to symbolize the Blood that was shed for my sins.The bulbs coming up are red tulips.
This year,  I am inspired by the Biblical reference to Jesus' walk to Calvary, which is also called Golgotha, the Place of the Skull.We happened to have many small skulls in the yard,one from a vole and four from deer, two mature and two young. I added these to this Crucifixion scene mainly to further grab the imaginations of the children who will view it. Smells and bells and bringing all our senses into the Faith is what we are attempting to do here.This is an experiment (the skulls) and perhaps it is a little creepy, but it relates to the Passion. I am not sure if folks will like it, but hopefully it will help us to remember the Supreme Sacrifice made by Our Lord for each one of us on Calvary.