Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pulled Pork BBQ

   We received a 13 pound boneless pork shoulder from Tim and Kristy. I defrosted it on the counter overnight and put it in a roasting pan at 300 degrees for 5 hours before we went  to church. We  picked up some fresh rolls on the way home. By 2 p.m. it was fully cooked and very tender. I removed the small amount of fat from the meat and pulled it apart with my hands.


I sauteed some green peppers and onion. I now do these separately after being told by a good cook that it makes a difference. A full bottle of Sweet Baby Rays was poured over the meat and veggies and the BBQ was put in the oven at 350 for 1/2 hour to heat up.
Of course I had to make fresh cole slaw. This is the third recipe on this blog that has featured cole slaw in it! I processed my cabbage this time to make it better for sandwiches.
  This picture does not do justice to how delicious this meal was. We could all smell the pork cooking all day and the sandwiches did not disappoint. The 13 pound roast had less than a pound of waste on it, so we now have about 12 pounds of BBQ to eat over the next few days. I picked up 48 rolls so that should be enough. The amount of meat was so plentiful that I could not help but be grateful to God for this abundant food. I was aware that some mothers will be spending their Holy Week with much less food to feed their families.
Dear Father in Heaven,Thank you so much for the gift of food. Please provide for the needs of all your children throughout the world. In the name of Jesus, the Lord, Amen.